Cops probing the case of a 16-year-old girl in Ulhasnagar, who claimed her parents forced her to have sex with a man to whom they owed Rs 50,000, booked her parents and the man for rape on Saturday. While the victim’s father has been detained, her mother and Nisar Khan (40), a family friend who the minor accused of sexually abusing her, are absconding.
The victim, sent by her parents to their native place in Uttar Pradesh as they feared police action, was brought to the city on Friday by UP police and handed over to Vithalwadi police. The victim’s statement was later recorded by the Child Welfare Committee and police. Based on the statement, police on Saturday morning booked the three accused under sections 376 (rape), 354 (molestation), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code.
“Initial investigations revealed the victim’s mother was involved in an illicit relationship with Nisar and it was she who first forced her daughter into a relationship with him,” said Chandrakant Deshmukh,senior inspector of Vithalwadi police station. While the case has been transferred to Kolsewadi police station where the crime first started, the victim has been sent to a child welfare centre. A medical test of the victim will be conducted on Monday.
In her statement, the victim said the family earlier lived in a rented room at Khadegolivali area in Kalyan east and said her parents had borrowed Rs 50,000 from Nisar, who was friendly with the family and lived with them, to buy a new room. She said since they were unable to repay the money, Nisar began physically abusing her two years ago, an act supported by her parents.
The victim alleged in her complaint that when her father would go out to work, her mother would force her to have sex with Nisar, claiming both her mother and Nisar threatened her when she protested. She said the abuse continued when the family moved into their new one-room house at Shiv Nagar in August and Nisar moved with them. She said he would force himself on her at night in the room when her parents and two younger brothers were sleeping.
The victim, a student of Class VIII, went into depression and managed to confide in a teacher last August. The teacher called her parents and asked them to take action against Nisar, but they stopped sending her to school instead and packed her off to their village in UP.
School principal Anju Singh then approached a local NGO, which reported the incident to the Thane CWC. The committee approached Vithalwadi police, but they reportedly refused to file a complaint till the victim directly came to them. The CWC then issued summons to the police, forcing it to contact UP police who then send the victim to the city. However, on learning of the developments, the mother and Nisar reportedly left the city while the father has been detained.
The victim’s 42-year-old father works as a daily wage labourer at construction sites while her 38-year-old mother is a housewife. The main accused, Nisar Khan (40), sells fruits near Vithalwadi station and has been living with the family for the past four years
The long trauma
* The victim’s ordeal started around two years ago, when her parents took a loan of Rs 50,000 from Nisar to buy a room in Shiv Nagar area in Ulhasnagar. In exchange for the money, the victim said her parents forced her to have sex with Nisar
* Last August, the victim, a student of Class VIII managed to confide in her teacher who called her parents and asked them to take action against Nisar. Instead, her parents stopped sending her to school
* Finally in January 2013, the school principal approached a local NGO which took the matter to the Child Welfare Committee
* A CWC representative complained to the police who reportedly said they could not act unless directly approached by the victim. Meanwhile, the girl’s parents sent her to their village in UP to avoid police action
* On February 19, the CWC issued summons to the police, forcing them to act to bring back the victim and register her complaint